Monday, August 31, 2009

Something old, something new, something borrowed ...

Blue is a great wedding color. In my book there aren't many colors that seem appropriate year round for weddings, but blue breaks the mold. Different shades can be perfect for winter or spring/summer weddings. Fall may be the exception--because if you're getting married in the fall (my favorite season) you're practically obligated to use the rich hues of autumn.








from Martha Stewart. This is a spectacular example of use of color on a wedding cake. It combines a soft vintage feel with a classic, subtle shade of blue. I like that you can see other reception decor in the background; you really get the feel of a sophisticated wedding. Oh Martha Stewart, will you ever cease to amaze us?












Mini cakes by Cheryl Kleinman Cakes. Everything is cuter in miniature form. These could be used as table centerpieces at either a wedding or a shower. And look--monograms! What did I tell you guys? Monograms are in.










Tiffany cake by Studio Cakes. Blogging about blue cakes I felt bound to throw in a Tiffany cake, but let me tell you, I have some big reservations about these suckers. Before you get the wrong idea about me, let me say that I do not make a habit out of watching Bridezillas. In fact, I think that show is terrible. But I do remember seeing one episode in which a very trashy bride demanded a cake that looked like a Tiffany box. It struck me as odd because her engagement ring came from Wal-Mart.. ok, so they didn't say that, but I'm guessing I'm not too far off on that one. In my opinion, if you don't have a ring from that jewelry store, why would you make it such a big part of your day? I think the cake should convey your theme or at least related to the couple, and really, if a cornerstone of your relationship is a jewelry store, it's time to rethink the marriage. Generally, I don't care for the Tiffany cakes.. one cute exception though: showers. I came across this blog about a Breakfast at Tiffany's themed shower, and I have to say, it sounds adorable. I'm much more on-board with a shower centered around a classic movie.
http://newportnuptials.blogspot.com/2009/03/thats-right-im-just-crazy-about.html







Light and airy, this cute cake works well with a midday spring wedding.
















Another Martha Stewart cake. I imagine that this intricate swirl design was inspired by the barbed wire on the fences at Camp Cupcake. Hands-down, Martha is my favorite felon cake designer.













Beautiful modern cake by Vanilla Bake Shop. The sultry blue of the flowers turns this otherwise cheerful, causal cake into a more dignified dessert. Is this color "indigo," the lost member of the ROY G BIV forgotten shortly after second-grade?












Fantastic cake. A wedding is well-coordinated if you can look at one element and easily envision the rest. Here, I can see a New England beach wedding: bride in a flowy white dress her hair in loose messy tendrils, groom barefoot in linen pants and a white shirt with the sleeves rolled up.
On a side-note: if your cake conjures up images of a wedding very different than the one you're planning, change cake designs. The cake should not stand out as significantly more or less formal than the rest of your day. Recently I saw a wedding that featured stunningly elegant formal invitations, programs, and other paper products. The entire wedding seemed classy and up-scale. Then, the cake was incredibly playful and childlike. My advice: do not pair a brightly colored polka-dot, cupcake cake with a black-tie affair. If that's the cake you want, choose other whimsical elements to incorporate.







This sweet cake is complimented well by the pale pink flower topper.
















This stunning creation is one of those cakes that makes me (momentarily) wonder if I chose the right cake for my wedding. The timeless elegance of this cake evokes 50's Hollywood glamour while maintaining a delightful simplicity. Although the top cake gave it a run for it's money, this is my pick of the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment